Texas Decides 2018 Voters Guide
Start Over

Voters Guide

Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4

General Election - Tuesday, November 6, 2018(Early Voting: Monday, October 22-Friday, November 2, 2018)A Lubbock County Justice of the Peace serves a 4-year term.

Click a candidate icon to find more information about the candidate. To compare two candidates, click the "compare" button. To start over, click a candidate icon.

  • Candidate picture

    Lance Cansino

  • Candidate picture

    Gracie Gomez

Social Media

Biographical Information

Training and Experience: Describe the training and experience that qualify you for this office. (325 characters, approx. 50 words)

Responsibilities: What are the responsibilities of the Justice of the Peace? (450 characters, approx. 75 words)

Campaign Phone (806) 797-3683
Email for public contact: lance.cansino@gmail.com
Education Texas Tech, Chemistry Major, 1976-1980
Sucessful business owner - financial services- life insurance, retirement, and investment accounts since 1982. For 23 years I was a registered Rep with 4 Broker/Dealers and was a Branch Office Manager and an Office of Supervisory Jurisdiction dealing with the legal compliance of the Broker/Dealers.
The Lubbock County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4 does about 12 jury trials a year and between 35 and 45 other non-jury trials in a year. Almost 70% of the cases in involve traffic citations, with the other 30% divided between alcohol and drug intoxication cases, evictions, small claims, and debt collection. The Duty of the Justice of the Peace is to fairly and impartially follow the law in deciding these cases.
Campaign Phone (806) 632-7200
Email for public contact: gracie_gomez@hotmail.com
Education I attended Springlake-Earth High School and International Business College.
I have 30 years combined experience in the legal field as a legal secretary and legal assistant & have thorough knowledge in the Lubbock County court system. I have unquestionable work ethic, am a quick study, enjoy working with the public, and am devoted to assisting the people of Lubbock with any issues before JP4.
Lubbock County JPs preside over civil cases with $10,000 or less claims. JP Courts handle Class C misdemeanor cases such as traffic tickets, violations by juveniles, hot check cases, conduct marriage ceremonies and can handle protective orders. JPs also preside over tenant/landlord disputes such as evictions, liens on property, etc. The most important role of a JP is to ensure fair application of laws in a smooth, fair and expedient manner.